Sambusa also known as samosa or samsa is a traditional Central Asian food that is mostly seen in special holidays. In Central Asia sambusa is usually baked in the clay oven although it can be prepared in the oven at home as well. It still tastes amazing. Here is a picture of the one in clay oven.
They are made in different shapes like the ones below in the picture.
It is your preference, whichever shape you choose. Something new and different to add to your holiday table perhaps.
Sambusa With Pumpkin
- 400 g all purpose flour
- 200 g warm water
- 1-1/2 tsp / 9 g kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or flax seed oil, or 80 gr vegan butter
- 1 piece pumpkin or squash
- 3 pieces onions
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- optional: 2 tbsp olive oil or water
- Sesame seed
- Vegan milk for top to give it the glow
- If you don’t like pumpkin, you can substitute it with greens like spinach
- 5-6 cups (150-180 g) mixed greens or spinach (organic when possible)
- Also, I put salt in a cup of warm water and mix it to get that perfect taste, then add it to flour.
- Start by preparing your dough. In a small dish, mix together the flour, flax-seed oil, salt and water to make a solid dough. Then cover the dough and let sit at room temperature while you prepare the fillings.
- Next combine your pumpkin and onions with seasonings. Cut into smaller cubes or you can just shred your pumpkin them. Add your olive oil or water.
- Put the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Slowly roll the dough into a fairly tight log, making sure there are no air pockets.It supposed to look more like a pizza crust but thinner, round thinner pizza crust.
- Once done rolling, pour your vegan butter
- Cut the log into about 1-1/4 inch cylinders. You should end up with about 10-20 of them.
- Roll each cylinder into a 5 inch circle.
- Place a handful of the pumpkin filling (about 3 ounces) in the center of the circle.
- Fold the circle in half and pinch to seal as show below to make a triangle.
- Place on a large baking sheet, brush with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake.
- Oven preheated to 450F for 30 minutes, turning the baking sheet around once after 15 minutes. For softer crust, bake at 425F for 30 minutes.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers separately up to 3 days in the refrigerator.